The ASUS Zenphone AR Smartphone means business, and it is a serious contender for the best phone in 2017.
This is the worlds first smartphone to feature both Augmented Reality through Tango, plus Virtual Reality through Google Daydream. The Zenfone AR is also the first smartphone to hit the market to feature an incredible 8 GB RAM. The specially optimized Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor pairs nicely, not to mention the impressive specs like the 23-megapixel camera, 4K UHD Video recording, WQHD Super AMOLED display, 128GB of speed enhanced internal storage and much, much more.
When ASUS Zenfone AR was introduced at CES this year in 2017, they were awarded the following:
– Best Mobile Device by Engadget
– Best Phone by PCMag.com
– CES 2017 Editors’ Choice Award Winner by Reviewed.com
– Best Smartphone by TechRadar
What is Tango?
Tango is a combination of sensors and computer vision software to AR enable a smartphone by understanding space and motion, in order to overlay digital content as if it were in the room with you.
Tango adds three things which are motion tracking, depth perception and area mapping capabilities. This allows the ASUS Zenfone AR to understand how far away it is from wall/floors/objects, its movement throughout a room or area, and to remember important key features of a real world 3D area.
With Tango you can interact with virtual objects as if they are in the real world with you (augmented reality). Would you like to fight zombies in your living room? How about a cute virtual pet to have around, or perhaps your own pet dragon? Race around with friends on a track you made on your kitchen table? See how your new car would look in the driveway, and check out its features?
There are unlimited app possibilities with AR and ASUS Zenfone AR.
What is Google Daydream?
Google Daydream allows you to experience a high quality VR experience when you pair the google Daydream View Headset (sold separately from the ASUS Zenfone AR).
The experience of Daydream is complimented by the technology of the Zenfone AR with ultra-smooth graphics, its precise sensors and amazing speeds (the Internal storage memory UFS 2.0 architecture and 8 GB RAM with a great processor can handle anything Tango or Daydream would need, plus it is three times faster than retrieving data with standard EMMC).
The end result is a hugely immersive and realistic VR experience with the Zenfone AR.
ASUS Zenfone AR Smartphone Specifications
– World’s first smartphone to be Tango AR & Daydream VR enabled, second ever Tango AR enabled phone (Daydream sold separately)
– World’s first smartphone to feature 8 GB RAM
– 128 GB internal storage, MicroSD card support up to 2TB limit
– Internal storage uses a UFS 2.0 architecture (3x faster at retrieving data than standard EMMC
– 5.7 inch WQHD Super AMOLED (2560 x 1440) display
– 64 bit Qualcomm Quad core processor Snapdragon 821 @2.35GHz, optimized for Tango
Desktop-class Qualcomm Adreno 530 graphics processing unit
– Advanced vapor cooling system
– Incredibly power efficient
– 79% screen to body ratio
– Tru2life technology for high contrast and outdoor readability
– Slim bezel (1.73mm)
– Gorilla Glass 4
– Fingerprint/anti-smudge coating
– 10 finger capacitive touch
– Over 100% NTSC high color gamut display
– Runs on Android 7.0 and is powered by a 3300mAh non removable battery with quick charge 3.0
– Height/weight/thickness – 158.7/77.4/8.9, and weighs about 170g
– Dual SIM that accepts Micro SIM and Nano SIM
– Connectivity with Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, 3G, 4G (with Band 7 support used by some LTE networks in Canada)
– Sensors: fingerprint (front) accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, compass magnetometer
– Zenfone AR SonicMaster 3.0 technology
– DTS Headphone:X – Pump up audio effects to get virtual 7.1 channel surround sound
– Combination of audio innovations for more volume, quality and effects
– 5 magnet speaker in a powerful NXP Smart AMP, providing expansive, high volume output
– Certified High-res audio to compatible devices at 24-bit/192kHz (4 x CD quality)
ASUS has come out with an Innovative Tricam System for the Zenfone AR. This consists of three cameras on the rear (for motion tracking, depth sensing, and the high res 23MP camera (the front features an 8 megapixel camera). The main rear camera system focuses with shockingly high speed and uses infrared laser detection and phase detection combined with constant ongoing autofocus to deliver a lightning fast 0.03 second speed, with subject tracking. It has an amazing feeling of speed and efficiency when focusing. The large f/2.0 aperture lens adds to this by bringing with it optical & electronic image stabilization and 4K video recording.
The Sony IMX318 that is used in the ASUS Zenfone AR is the highest resolution mobile camera sensor ever used in the back of a smartphone. Using this, ASUS has created a 92 megapixel “super resolution technology” to take pictures. The resulting pictures ASUS says have 4x the clarity and still function in low light than a standard HD picture. This is all accomplished through taking four native 23 megapixel images with the Sony IMX318 sensor.
It is clear ASUS put a lot into the Zenfone AR, and the end product delivers on its promises. It pushes limits past anything on the market, and is without a doubt an amazing demonstration of this new generation of smartphones. The awards received from CES this year are a primary example.
The combined package leaves you with a powerful, fast, landmark device that gives you all the possibilities that Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality have to offer. Try augmented reality clothes on in the Gap app. Design your home or office, or if a piece of furniture would look good in your home. More developers are expressing their art, style and imaginations and will only improve the many available possibilities with this technology.
The ASUS Zenfone AR is available now.